Friday, April 26, 2013

Kayak Son Fishin'



The weather's been getting warmer, the days have been getting longer, and I've been itching to try taking my 3 year-old son, Caleb, on my kayak with me.  I had plans to go kayak fishing on the Susquehanna Flats with a friend of mine this weekend, and he has never fished from a kayak before.  We thought it would be a good idea to get his feet wet by taking him to a small lake in my neighborhood the evening before.  Since it was going to be a quick trip to a small lake, and the weather has been nice, I thought it would also be a good opportunity to take my son out on the water with me.

Future Kayak Anglers

Right after work I hurried home to load up my kayaks and to pick up my son to go kayaking.  My friend arrived shortly after I finished loading up the 'yaks and we made our way to the lake.  He's a bigger guy than I am, so I gave him the Prowler 13 to fish in, and I took the Tarpon 100 with Caleb.  The Tarpon 100 is a great small water kayak!  It is light, quick to set up (the seat is permanently attached, so you don't have to rig it in when you are setting up), tracks decently well, and it is super stable.

Safety first!  Caleb in his brand new PFD.

I sat my son in front of me as I paddled along, and he had a great time.  He helped me paddle the boat, helped me reel in fish (a Crappie and a Largemouth Bass), and even took my picture for me.  As the sun started to set, we packed up and headed home for dinner and some nice rest for the big day that my friend and I had coming up the next morning.

Why is there a lemon juice bottle in the picture, you ask?  I'll explain in a later post...
A crappie!
You can always tell when Caleb takes the picture...his fingers show up on the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment